Monday, May 9, 2011

Audition

I had an audition on Friday. Of course, that's pretty normal for me: I audition a lot. But that was my first one in a while. For the past few months, I've been pretty busy doing a show and haven't been able to go to many auditions. Also, I will be missing a number of auditions I would like to do while I'm in Germany, and I didn't do some auditions because the performances, if I were cast, would have overlapped with my trip. Ah, the craziness of my life.

So, anyway, it was my first audition in a while. I'm actually batting 1000 for my last two auditions (before Friday, of course), but that doesn't really mean much. However, it does mean that I went into the audition feeling pretty confident, since I just finished one show and will be singing in Germany this summer. My drive sapped some of my confidence: someone rear ended me at a red light (no damage to either car, hardly worth mentioning...but still!), and the construction around the DC area always makes me nervous about driving. But I got there early and in one piece. So I asked the girl who had just finished singing how it went. She said brightly, "I sang like I sing, so that was good!"

And that, of course, set me thinking. How exactly do I sing? This has been a question of some import in my life for a long time, actually, because I am constantly getting different feedback. If you don't know, there are a lot of different voice types in opera (there are probably close to 10 different categories of soprano), and everyone is expected to sing the repertoire that is appropriate for their type. The problem for me has been that ever since I became an advanced enough singer for anyone to have an opinion about my voice type, nearly everyone who has heard me has told me something different about what my voice is and what I should be singing. And these differences are usually not slight disagreements with overlapping repertoire. And it's hard to make these kinds of decisions without input from coaches, teachers, and directors, because no one hears their own voice the way it sounds to other people. Besides, ultimately, I don't get to decide what kind of roles I'll be singing unless I start a vanity company to sing whatever I want. Directors and conductors make the decision of how to cast me. So my job in an audition is to present myself in a way that lets them see I could do whatever they're casting, and I would in fact be the best choice for it.

But lately I've been thinking. Maybe I don't need a guru or an oracle to tell me what's right for my voice or my career. I keep asking more people, and every one gives me a different answer. But maybe, after I consider all the other input, it's my own opinion that really matters in the end. So on Friday I started my audition with my favorite aria. My teacher thinks is great for me, my most critical singer friends complimented my performance of it, and one of my coaches said, "I think you're too funny for this role--but you really sing the aria well!" Of course I don't know what the auditors thought of me. They heard part of the first piece and part of the other one I'd brought. And they seemed to enjoy my audition--but more importantly, I enjoyed it.

How did it go? Well, I sang like I sing. I guess that's good!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Opera Girl. So we meet again. As the little "surprise" that I had arranged for you in D.C. failed to foil your audition, I must again retire to my Volcano Lair both to construct a new plan and punish my henchmen.

    I am, as always, your arch-nemesis.

    Malificently yours,

    Dr. Torculus

    PS Number 3 says to thank you for the lovely tea cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Torculus!!

    So YOU'VE been behind all those things! I didn't mention the car that rear-ended me at a stoplight on my way to the audition, or the excessive amounts of construction and traffic that made it difficult for me to get there. It's all so clear now...

    And tell Number 3 he's very welcome for it, and also welcome anytime to desert your forces of evil and join my forces for good!

    Cordially,
    Opera Girl

    ReplyDelete