Monday, May 16, 2011

The same, but different....

I'm actually a little disappointed by how little culture shock I feel. When we flew out of Munich (and I had a window seat), I kept looking at the landscape--the grass, trees, and houses--hoping to see something completely different from what I'm used to. I told myself the grass was a different color and the forest made me think of Grimm's fairy tales, as if a wolf or an old woman in a candy house might be hiding in it. But really, things are not so different here.

This morning my alarm went off at 7, and as I lay in bed thinking about getting up, I heard a garbage truck outside. I looked out the window at the familiar sound. The garbage men wore bright orange coveralls, and as I watched, a student in a rode by on a bicycle, wearing a backpack. Cars drove carefully around the garbage truck, and a man walking a beagle came into view and stopped to light a cigarette. I could be in any city in the world, and yesterday at the convenience store, a Lady Gaga concert was playing on the television.  (It was "Poker Face.")

But, of course, unlike every other city in the world, this city is full of Germans. One of the girls in the program said to me yesterday that, in general, the German men look and dress a bit like American gay men, and the women look a bit like American lesbians. As a stereotype that is somewhat (although not entirely) true, which is of course how I developed one of my favorite games to play when people-watching in New York City: Gay or European? (Do I need to explain how to play? It's a simple guessing game. Here's where I got the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpFlR5t4WGw)


Anyway, it's time to get ready for the day! Today I have more free time than yesterday, so I'll be able to practice a little (finally! I don't go three days without practicing at least a little unless I'm sick), and I also have a small staging rehearsal for Suor Angelica--for only the two Angelicas and the two Genevives. I'm glad to be starting so early...I hope I remember my music! But I'll review everything this afternoon before German class.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, Gay or European, but my favorite game is gay or Lorenzo? Nevertheless - watch out for those furiners! Torculus? Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guten Tag, Opera Girl!

    I see that my loyal minions kept your from sleeping on the plane. MUWAHAHAHAAA!

    And you thought that "Gary" from "Pleasantdale" was just a mild mannered shoe salesman with a surprising interest in Gesualdo. ;)

    I am *oh so sorry* to hear about your technology troubles. You are right, that wasn't me, but do not forget that it could have been.

    Technology seems to be working just fine for me as I have extended my evil tendrils into the blogosphere. That's right opera girl; your quest for truth, justice, and intonation shall not go unchallenged!!!

    You may read of my nefarious doings at http://foilingoperagirl.blogspot.com.

    Malificently yours,

    Dr. Torculus

    PS Number 3 asks if you can bring back some of those little chocolates that he likes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Culture shock takes a bit more time to set in. Don't worry, one day you will be suddenly and overwhelmingly struck with the feeling "OMG THESE PEOPLE ARE ALL COMPLETELY INSANE AND I AM STUCK WITH THEM FOR THE NEXT 8 WEEKS ARRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!"

    ReplyDelete